Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Lie Of The Land

For those of you reading this blog for the first time, this posting is going to seem more than a trifle dull. Why should anyone wish to bore his legions of readers (hem,hem) with a list of the main geographic features of his garden? For an explanation (of sorts!) I can only refer you to prior postings ('The Rules of Engagement' and 'Birds Eye View' - posted 13,14th Jan 06 respectively).

O.k. - down to business:

In the main aeriel photo ('Where It All Lives' - right) the garden appears essentially as an equilateral the triangle with apexes located at coordinates (1,0), (0,2), (2,2).

One side of the garden - the side running from (1,0) to (2,2) - comprises an old natural-stone-and-morter wall, hidden at one end in the photo by trees and at the other by shadow. I've casually observed assorted mosses, weeds, snails, insects etc. making a home of this wall, but putting names to said organisms is a challenge that awaits me.

The green/grey line running from (1,0) to (0.5,0.8) is a concrete path edged by a low ~1m-high hedge (which I believe, but again have yet to confirm, is Box, Buxus sempervirens).

The region behind the house in the vicinity of (0,2) is a vegetable patch.

Running along the lower side of the garden from (0,2) to (1,2) is a larger ~2.5m-high hedge (which I again think may be Box). The hedge ends where it meets (at (1,2)) a line of various trees which continue along to the corner of the garden (2,2). I don't yet know the species of the large tree seen growing at (2,2).

The lawn (fairly clear in the photo I think) is 'tolerable' - by which I mean, that whilst it serves the primary function of a lawn of being green and (fairly!) kempt, it is no bowling green! I do not apply fertilizers, moss killers etc. As a consequence, along with the grass grows a quantity of moss, clover, dandelions and daisies. I am going to take a wild guess that, insects included, I will find myself having to identify somewhere between ten and twenty organisms from the lawn alone.

I have a some way to go before all my garden life is accurately catalogued!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Listened to an interesting thing about scruffy bits of land on Radio 4, yesterday. Seems that a rough kind of lawn can be a fantastic place for insects. Methinks you're going to be pleasantly surprised by the biodiversity or, should I say, nice little niche, your lawn will turn out to be.

I always think of the pristine, stripey grass of the overly squished and trimmed garden or golf course as a bit of an environmental desert. Keep up the good work!

Caiden Craig said...

Thhank you for sharing